Sunday, July 25, 2010

"It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

So there is this thing called manga. It is in the form of a book commonly known as a graphic novel. I was introduced to them in 2005 by my cousins. After that I was hooked. I enjoy reading them. BUT I've made a discovery-enjoying manga makes you a big geek. Why is that? why is enjoying something thats different considered wrong? Before moving up to the University I observed very quickly that if theatre people found out someone was an anime/manga fan they were categorized as geeks and "outcasted". I like having my friends in theatre so I never said a peep. In fact on a few occasions I pretended not to know what Naurto (haven't read it) or Cardcaptor Sakura was, or heaven forbid the plot to InuYasha.

When people enjoy playing certain video games ALL the time or card games like Magic the Gathering or Pokemon (are those still around?) why are they outcasted? Because others don't like those games or know how to play? Some people like to play poker ALL the time but they aren't labeled as geeks (well they are called gamblers, which is worse, which is not the point).

Is manga wrong because it has pictures? Do people think they are a waste of time and money because its a glorified comic book? And whats wrong with comic books? I still like to read fairy Tales but am I too old for them because they are meant for children?

A "normal" Person may be a crazed fan about sports or Shakespeare but thats okay because those are "normal". But manga, anime, pokemon, those are foreign, those are different; and if you like them that makes you different too.

I like being different, but I'm not so sure I'm really ready to tell the theatre world how different.

No comments:

Post a Comment